Researcher(s) from other countries are welcome to carry out research in Indonesia. All foreign researchers doing research activities in Indonesia must obtain an official permit from the Indonesian authority in advanced.
Please note that the Embassy/Consulate Generals will not process a research visa application without an official notification or a formal approval from the Ministry of Higher Education and Research and Technology, and the Directorate General of Immigration.
Beginning July 4th, 2011, all foreign research application must be applied online at
.However, should you encounter any problem with the online system, please send your application documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact:
Education Affairs – Embassy of Indonesia
2020 Massachusetts Avenue, North West, Washington, D.C., 20036
Tel : (202) 775-5230
Fax : (202) 775-5235
Secretariat of Foreign Research Permit,
Ministry of Higher Education and Research and Technology
2nd BPPT Bld. (8th floor)
Jl. M.H Thamrin 8
Tel : +62 21 316 9293
Fax : +62 21 398 36180
- A passport with at least 6 months validity for single entry or 1 year for multiple entry, from the date of entry into Indonesia, which has at least one blank page for visa (amendment and endorsement pages cannot be used for visa).
- Two recent color photographs (passport size) with white background on picture-quality paper.
Note: Do not staple or affixed the photographs on the form.
- Complete the online application.
- Researcher Visa Authorization Letter from the Indonesian Directorate General of Immigration after completing an online foreign research application.
An application will not be processed without a formal notification of authorization from the Indonesian Directorate General of Immigration. To initiate and expedite the process of the Authorization, it is advisable that the applicant's sponsor in Indonesia submit a request for authorization to the Ministry of Higher Education and Research and Technology and the Directorate General of Immigration in Jakarta, Indonesia. Please make sure that the notification is addressed to the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate Generals in which the visa will be issued.
- Applicants under 18 years of age should attach a notarized copy of birth certificate. In addition, a notarized letter of consent signed by non-traveling legal guardian must be attached if the applicant under 18 years of age travels without the legal guardian.
- For Non-US citizen: Please provide a copy of US Permanent Residence/Visa/Valid I-20 from schools/universities.
- Inoculation is recommended but not mandatory, and is required only if applicant had previously traveled to areas/ countries infected by yellow fever.
Click here for the list of consular transaction's fee